Home › Forums › Prevention Essentials Refresher Discussion Board › Session 3: Prevention › Reflect and discuss: Why prevention in Mercy’s story › Reply To: Reflect and discuss: Why prevention in Mercy’s story
From Mercy’s story, realized that violence can impact negatively so many spheres at the community level hence prevention is important to realize:
1. Safety and Well-being: Reducing violence helps create an environment where people can live without fear and enjoy a better quality of life free of physical injuries, trauma, loss of life etc. Prevention helps minimize these devastating impacts on human lives.
2. Saving resources and redirect them toward constructive initiatives as violence takes a toll on the community’s economy through increased healthcare costs, reduced productivity, and damage to infrastructure.
3. Prevention can help communities improve overall public health outcomes as violence can lead to long-term physical and mental health consequences.
4. Long-term Stability: Sustainable violence prevention efforts contribute to the long-term stability and resilience of a community. By addressing the root causes of violence, communities can build a foundation for lasting positive change.
There are a number of prevention activities can be done in her community such as:
1. Conducting regular awareness and education campaigns on forms of violence, their consequences, conflict resolution etc
2. Mentorship programs for girls and women to produce girls and women who are empowered, equipped with knowledge and skills of dealing with violence
3. Establishing safe spaces for interactions, collaborations and hanging out for women and girls to engage constructively.