Reply To: Reflect and discuss: VAW prevention principles

MADINA YUNIS MAHAT
Participant

I ensure that women and girls from diverse backgrounds and experiences are included in the planning process. I organize focus group discussions, surveys to gather their input. I also conduct thorough needs assessments with a gender-sensitive approach. I always include elements in the program that focus on the empowerment and capacity building of women and girls. This in turn help enhance their confidence and leadership skills.
    I ensure that the planning and decision-making processes include inputs from a diverse range of stakeholders representing various identities, including but not limited to race, ethnicity, socioeconomic status, sexual orientation, gender identity, and ability. This helps me ensure comprehensive understanding of the different characteristics and identities that may impact women’s experiences of violence. I develop prevention programs that are culturally competent and sensitive to the specific needs of different communities. This involves providing culturally relevant resources, training staff to be aware of diverse cultural perspectives, and engaging community leaders to enhance the program’s reach and impact.
    I ensure the VAW programs maintains the confidentiality and privacy of the survivors/participants by creating safe spaces where women and girls feel comfortable sharing their experiences without fear of retaliation or stigma. I Build partnerships with local law enforcement, legal authorities, and community leaders to help ensure the safety of women and girls. This collaboration includes training local authorities on handling VAW cases, creating referral systems, and establishing a network of support to respond effectively to any potential backlash or threats.