Reflect and discuss: VAW prevention principles

Homepage Forums Prevention Essentials Refresher Discussion Board Session 3: Prevention Reflect and discuss: VAW prevention principles

Viewing 5 posts - 21 through 25 (of 35 total)
  • Author
    Sharon
    Participant

Accountable to women and girls: Involve the women and girls in planning and implementation of program.
      Based in a gender power analysis: Involve all genders so that interventions dont look like they will demean another gender.
      Inclusive and intersection: Look at different characteristics of the people and including all without discrimination.
      Prioritize safety of girls and women: Plan for the safety of the women and girls and addressing any backlash.
      Starting with ourselves: Looking at values of staff when hiring. Having a plan to deal with secondary trauma for staff.

Myint Myint Win
      Participant

In the GBV project in which I’ve been involved, we consulted with our beneficiaries female migrant factory workers in the periurban factories at the different stages of the project cycle: consultations during the designing of the project, consultations for training contents, messages, and IEC (Information, Education, Communication) materials for campaigns and evaluation of the project activities. The collection of feedback during the activities and realignment of the activities at different phases of the project showed that we’ve been accountable to women beneficiaries.
        A rapid gender analysis was done, following the set guidelines, during proposal development and during planning for implementation at the community level is a gender-power analysis.
        During the capacity building and training sessions, men, women, and persons with disability from respective factories are invited regardless of their position in the factory. This follows the inclusive and intersectional principle.
        When we distribute the dignity kits, we include torch lights and sanitary napkins that women can utilize to protect themselves and protect their dignity.
        All the persons involved in the project follow strictly the PSEA IASC six principles, our organization’s SOPs and guidelines are revised to integrate these guidelines.

Mercy James
        Participant

Hello team,
          In my case, I have just begun to work in a VAW programme.
          However, what I can clearly state I have seen accountability to women and girls being employed where they are involved and brought on board on the discussion table from planning all the way to implementation. Specific risk factors that make women more vulnerable to violence are identified that has informed the development of targeted interventions to reduce these risk factors and enhance women’s safety. Inclusivity and intersectionality is also being utilized a lot at my work place as I see all sorts of women and girls are engaged. No discrimination of whatever sort is evident.
          At my work place, a Centre for women and girls is being built. This Centre shall provide a safe space for the women and girls to receive both prevention and response services alongside empowerment and mentorship.

MJ

DingulwaziMasuku
          Participant

The programme works in a collaborative nature whereupon it follows a facilitation and not teaching process
            The programmes involves men as well which makes it more acceptable to the whole family and leads to wholesome changes in the behaviour of both men and women
            The programme should be designed with the needs of the participants in mind so that they will not feel that it was imposed upon them
            The programme also addresses the mental well being of the participants and the people delivering it as they may be affected
            The programmes empowers women of all ages

Vivian Efem-Bassey
            Participant

1. The VAW prevention principle of being Accountable to Women and Girls are applied via co-creation sessions at the design stage of projects. Women and girls are involved in joint monitoring and the tracking of progress of the project and share ways we can iterate if the need arises.

2. We are aware that VAWG is fueled by power relations, where the power is usually titled to one side and it is used over the other. Our programme deploys a power analysis participatory tool to determine the types of power in play and where the power lies. This aids in project design, engagement with stakeholders and beneficiaries including implementation strategies. We also introspect to ensure we are not misusing our power as implementers or donors.

3. We are aware that the one size fits all approach would not provide the desired results beneficiaries want to see or experience, so our project is design are guided by intersectional feminist programming principles to ensure diversity and inclusion based on the peculiarities of women and girls in the communities with work with and for.

4. Women and girls partake in participatory reflection actions where participatory tools such as community mapping are drawn up and danger or potential locations within the community or its environs are identified to form part of either advocacy to ensure safety in those place or ensure our work does not involve women and girls moving towards those areas and being vulnerable to danger.

5. Self awareness and self care are part of the 10 feminist leadership principles that guides our work. We keep our egos in check, so that we can lead with empathy and open minds. In order to do this, we work towards accepting our vulnerabilities, as well as recognising and valuing our strengths and those of others. We take care of our emotional and physical well-being, in order to renew our inner sources of inspiration and compassion so we can continue to give of our best. We encourage and support others to do the same, actively working towards a more flexible and supportive work environment, particularly for those with caring responsibilities.

Viewing 5 posts - 21 through 25 (of 35 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.