Reflect and discuss: VAW prevention principles

Homepage Forums Prevention Essentials Refresher Discussion Board Session 3: Prevention Reflect and discuss: VAW prevention principles

Viewing 5 posts - 26 through 30 (of 35 total)
  • Author
    ASIBUKUJAFARI
    Participant

The program I implemented was the provision of services at Women and Girls spaces in a Humanitarian setting. In this I;

Ensured that beneficiaries of the program were listened to, their needs were incorporated into programs, and feedback was provided to them timely, especially on life skills and topics under discussion at the safe spaces.

Ensured that the power differences in the families, and community are analyzed to avert imbalances in power and also provide equitable resources and opportunities for men and women.

I learned that the program responds to the needs of all our beneficiaries irrespective of gender, color, disability status, or sexual orientation for instance in the GBV task force we had men and women, inclusiveness of everyone in awareness campaigns on gender-based violence.

At the safe spaces, I ensured the program design and implementation did not cause harm to women and girls from their spouses, programs that ensured integrity for women and girls, and also ensured confidentiality for survivors of violence.

Ensured that we needed to reflect on our attitudes and beliefs around gender, power, privilege, and violence and how this impacts our work through avoiding biases in providing services to wounded clients to avert burnout and vicarious trauma.

MADINA YUNIS MAHAT
      Participant

I ensure that women and girls from diverse backgrounds and experiences are included in the planning process. I organize focus group discussions, surveys to gather their input. I also conduct thorough needs assessments with a gender-sensitive approach. I always include elements in the program that focus on the empowerment and capacity building of women and girls. This in turn help enhance their confidence and leadership skills.
        I ensure that the planning and decision-making processes include inputs from a diverse range of stakeholders representing various identities, including but not limited to race, ethnicity, socioeconomic status, sexual orientation, gender identity, and ability. This helps me ensure comprehensive understanding of the different characteristics and identities that may impact women’s experiences of violence. I develop prevention programs that are culturally competent and sensitive to the specific needs of different communities. This involves providing culturally relevant resources, training staff to be aware of diverse cultural perspectives, and engaging community leaders to enhance the program’s reach and impact.
        I ensure the VAW programs maintains the confidentiality and privacy of the survivors/participants by creating safe spaces where women and girls feel comfortable sharing their experiences without fear of retaliation or stigma. I Build partnerships with local law enforcement, legal authorities, and community leaders to help ensure the safety of women and girls. This collaboration includes training local authorities on handling VAW cases, creating referral systems, and establishing a network of support to respond effectively to any potential backlash or threats.

Tjarirove Tjirimuje
        Participant

All VAW principles are good on paper but not implemented fully especially in my country

Winsome Nenewa
          Participant

After taking this course, I have realized that my work has been in the responsive services to survivors and trying to identify the prevention program. I don’t think I have done any work in prevention. In my setting, we think that advocacy and awareness of VAW is prevention however there is more to unpack in prevention and identifying the right prevention strategy before we can analyze if we have used this prevention principle.
            Accountable to women and girls Prevention Principle
            I will give it a try. I have been providing Financial Competency and Literacy training to people. One of the factors of IPV is the financial burden. We try to help these people create more income streams rather than depending on one source.
            One of the activities the participants have to do is to know themselves (habits and attitudes, values, dreams, skills, talents plans and goals, etc.). The participants can give their input and feedback on the type of income-generating ideas using what they have.
            Based on a gender-power analysis
            In the Financial Competency and Literacy training I provide; I have not taken into consideration the gender-power analysis. The evidence has shown that a lot of female participants don’t return because the financial decision-making is made by the father only. We need to identify prevention strategies to address this. Maybe the training should be for couples rather than one.
            Inclusive and Intersectional principle
            The financial competency and literacy training is inclusive to illiterate people and all age groups in the community as it uses thinking and pictural/object explanations. The teaching techniques are inclusive to any person as we encourage one-on-one coaching sessions for individual participants.
            Starting with ourselves
            This financial competency and literacy training, we have started in our family as we were financially struggling to meet our family needs daily so we shared responsibility for everyone to contribute to the income. This has shown that women and girls in my family are more creative and have a good budget well on their spending activities.

Elizabeth Washika
            Participant

The program involved the women and girls from inception – shaping up of the program and kept on receiving their inputs, suggestions althrough and the program kept holding meetings with them and sharing feedback as an accountability measure.
              Gender -power dynamics was analysed and used to come up with strategies of addressing VAW
              Analysis of the different things around women and girls that exposes them to risks was undertaken and used to come up with prevention interventions and response mechanisms for those affected.
              safety of women and girls was a key fundamental principle that was ensured at all steps
              individuals who worked for the project had a reflection of their beliefs, behaviours and attitudes around gender, power and how that would affect the implementation of the program and had to address it.

Viewing 5 posts - 26 through 30 (of 35 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.