Reflect and discuss: Risk factors and situational triggers in Mercy’s story

Homepage Forums Prevention Essentials Refresher Discussion Board Session 4: Causes Reflect and discuss: Risk factors and situational triggers in Mercy’s story

Viewing 5 posts - 26 through 30 (of 37 total)
  • Author
    ASIBUKUJAFARI
    Participant

I think there would be any minimal difference looking at my community where men are looked at as the head of the family with much powers in decision making, boozing a lot in social gatherings, equal education for boys and girls as the community value them through awareness by government and NGOs on eradicating GBV although there is still forced marriages This means that support factors are now strong including community support groups, school support structures, and increased awareness from the many NGOs working to promote gender equality. The triggers could be the same including harsh conditions of poverty, lack of employment among youth.

MADINA YUNIS MAHAT
      Participant

I don’t think there would have been much of a huge difference if she lived in my community because I also come from a pastoralist and patriarchal society, risk factors for violence against women include traditional gender norms, limited education, and economic dependency. Protective factors involve community support and certain cultural values, while situational triggers stem from disputes over livestock, arranged marriages, and social isolation due to nomadic lifestyles.

Winsome Nenewa
        Participant

In my community, Mercy’s life will be different.
          I will use education as an example.
          In my community, education opportunity is given to every child. However when it comes to selecting a child because of the low income. The children are selected depending on who can do well in the education system to further their studies whilst the other children help to bring income or do household chores. If the child girl is not capable of finishing her studies, the parents are happy because parents know that when they grow old, their daughters will take care of them while their son focuses more on taking care of his wife and her family.
          We are witnessing that those children (either boy or girl) don’t complete their education and always marry at an early age. They don’t understand parenthood and can’t take the responsibilities of being a parent or have the financial strength to look after themselves. That is when they face violence. Jealousy or cheating (adultery) with multiple partners is one of the triggers of violence. Educated men with a lot of income have a lot of wives.

chirani Gunathilake
          Participant

In our society girls have more opportunities to study. many girls attend universities. Higher level of education is protective factor for Mercy.
            our society don’t believe beating a woman is right of men. Mercy will never think like that and if clinton beat her she can complain this matter. this is protective factor of the society.

Leema Noorzai
            Participant

In following ways the challenges would differ to Mercy if she lived in my community:

Risk Factors:

1. Strict Gender Roles and Education Restrictions:
              – The cultural norm (i.e., this is not accepted by all but reinforced by the government in power) of restricting women and girls from attending schools and universities reinforces traditional gender roles, limiting educational opportunities for women and contributing to unequal power dynamics.

2. Government Enforcement of Gender Norms:
              – The risk is intensified by government policies that enforce and punish women who deviate from traditional gender roles. This institutionalized control can contribute to a climate where violence against women is perpetuated.

3. Limited Autonomy and Decision-Making:
              – The restriction on women’s decision-making power, both within the family and society, increases the risk of gender-based violence as it perpetuates a culture where women are seen as subordinate to men.

4. Chaperone Requirement:
              – Requiring women to have a male chaperone when leaving the house not only restricts their freedom but also makes them more vulnerable to potential violence if they are perceived to be in violation of this rule.

Protective Factors:

1. Community Support Networks:
              – Despite the challenges, the presence of strong community support networks could act as a protective factor, offering emotional support and resources to women facing difficulties.

2. Potential Advocacy from Women’s Groups:
              – If women’s rights organizations and advocacy groups are active in the community, they could serve as a protective force, advocating for gender equality and supporting women facing violence.

3. Religious Values Emphasizing Justice:
              – Interpretations of religious values that emphasize justice and equality may serve as a potential protective factor, providing a foundation for challenging discriminatory practices.

Situational Triggers:

1. Government Sanctions and Enforcement:
              – A significant situational trigger is the enforcement by the government, where punitive measures can escalate tensions and increase the risk of violence against women who challenge traditional norms.

2. Household Power Dynamics:
              – Household power dynamics, where men are the primary decision-makers, may serve as a situational trigger, leading to violence when women attempt to assert autonomy or challenge established norms.

3. Policing of Women’s Behavior:
              – The strict monitoring of women’s behavior, including restrictions on leaving the house without a male chaperone, creates a situation where any perceived deviation from prescribed norms may lead to violence.

4. Absence of Legal Protection:
              – The absence of effective legal protections for women, especially when challenging traditional gender roles, can be a significant situational trigger, leaving women vulnerable to violence without legal recourse.

Viewing 5 posts - 26 through 30 (of 37 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.